Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Adventures with Caffeine

So, I woke up this morning with a bit of a headache. I had a low-grade headache most of the day yesterday, and I think this morning's ailment was just a left-over from that.

Now, I'm the kind of person that when I have a headache or a backache or a toe-ache or whatever, I reach for the Ibuprofen faster than a lizard races for cover when being discovered by a rambunctious 3-year old (How do you like that simile? I came up with it all by myself. Obviously).

So, I had already tried Ibuprofen, to no avail. Then I remembered that sometimes I get headaches that can only be beaten by drinking a Coke or a Pepsi or some other caffeinated drink. Eric happens to be nearly addicted to Diet Pepsi, and so we generally have some of that in our pantry. However, as I was taking my vitamins this morning, I noticed a bottle of "Jet Boost" (or something like that) caffeine pills. I read the label, and it looked like it was basically the same thing as the "No Doze" that I keep in the glove compartment in the RAV. (I rarely use it, but back when I used to make those looooong Southern Utah to Northern Utah treks all by myself, I found that 1/2 a pill could really be helpful at times.)

So, anyway, I read the label, learned that each pill contains as much caffeine as 2 cups of coffee, determined that if I was a coffee drinker, I would probably drink two cups at a time, forgot that I only take 1/2 of a no-doze when I'm driving, and popped one in my mouth.

That was probably a mistake.

I spent the rest of the morning with my hands, fingers, and arms in a perpetual state of the shakes. Not enough to keep me from being able to do my work or anything, just enough to be bothersome to me. My head (while not aching in the least) has had that low-grade "buzzy" feeling that I get when I'm going on an adrenaline rush, and I've just had a general nervous fight-or-flight feeling. It's also been harder for me to concentrate in general.

Thankfully, these effects have been wearing off, and I'm feeling more normal now (but still headache-free, thankfully). I expect that within 2-3 hours I'll be completely back to my old self.

So, what have we learned from this little adventure?
  1. If I had been born a coffee drinker, I would definitely have been a one cup or less woman.
  2. If I'm going to try to cure a headache with caffeine, one small glass of Diet Pepsi is probably my best bet.
  3. I need to move that "Jet Boost" bottle so that I don't see it when I'm taking my vitamins ever ever again.
And that's today's lesson.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

You really should talk to someone in the TV business about your own reality show. You crack me up! I am glad to know you are still with us and I would suspect that you will sleep very well tonight after the buzz wears completely off.

Jeri said...

charlotte, charlotte, charlotte....

Jeff said...

Hmmm... Charlotte buzzed up on caffeine--would be something to see. reminds me of an episode in my past involving an all-night paper writing session and a two liter bottle of mountain dew. not pretty
cheers! Jeff

melissa c said...

That is pretty funny. I get those headaches sometimes too. Mine are from my neck though. If I am out a alignment.

Glad it's all figured out though!

corry-news.blogspot.com said...

Charlotte,

I absolutely love your comments. You are such an entertaining girl. Now you are talking to the caffiene queen when it comes to headaches. Anacin is the only cure for me.

Love
Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...