Friday, June 01, 2007

my first time ever being blog-tagged

Melissa tagged me on this, and although I do a scandalously small amount of housekeeping, I thought I'd go ahead and answer the questions anyway.

I'm warning you though--this is a REALLY LONG POST! (also, some of the answers are not that interesting!) So, knowing that, if you choose to read on, go right ahead!

THE ABC's of HOMEMAKING

Aprons- yes or no? If yes, what does your favorite look like?

  • I love aprons, and I've had about 15 throughout my life. The one I have currently is yellow (surprising, I know).

Bake-What's your favorite thing to bake?

  • My favorite thing to bake is not coincidentally my favorite thing to eat, which right now is Red Velvet Cake (except I don't put the food coloring in it, so it's really Brown Velvet Cake)

Clothesline- yes or no?

  • Nope--we live in a town home, so there really isn't room for a clothesline. We did get a dryer rack for our wedding, and I've used that exactly once. I put the our jeans and khakis on it, put it on the back patio, and promptly forgot all about it until 2 days later, when I awoke to hear the rain pattering on the roof and on the jeans. (yup, kind of new to the whole "drying outside" thing)

Donuts- have you ever made them?

  • Yes, for a fundraiser to raise money for girls camp when I was 12 years old. I made them a weird shape and all the other girls made fun of my "nerd-shaped" donuts. (that was in the 80's-when those candy Nerds were really popular)

Every day-Name one homemaking thing you do every day.

  • Our bed gets made every day. Usually Eric and I do it together, but sometimes he beats me to it. (Either I am the luckiest woman in the world, or we are newlyweds and it will wear off after a while. I prefer to believe it's the former)

Freezer-Do you have a separate deep freeze?


  • Nope

Garbage disposal- yes or no?


  • Yes! For Sure!!

Handbook- what is your favorite homemaking resource?

  • The telephone. I use it to call my mom, my aunt, my dad, my sister and sisters-in-law, whoever will be the most help. My e-mail account is pretty helpful that way as well.

Ironing- do you love it or hate it?

  • Hate it. Absolutely hate it.

Junk drawer- yes or no? Where is it?

  • I have two--one in the kitchen and one in our bedroom

Kitchen-What is your kitchen color and decorating scheme?

  • Our walls are painted tan (the same color they were when I bought the house), and the space above the cupboards has random 8x10 pictures I've taken, along with some plants. They are real plants, and since I often forget to water them, they are generally in various stages of wilting.

Love- What is your favorite part of homemaking?


  • Love is a strong, strong word. However, I do kind of like making the bed and straightening up our bedroom in the mornings.

Mop- yes or no?


  • Yes, but far far less often than I should.

Nylons- wash by hand or in the washing machine?


  • Machine for sure. I don't wear them all that often though.

Pizza-What do you put on your pizza?

  • Sliced Roma tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese. I haven't made pizza in years though. For our wedding we got two pizza stones of different sizes. Eric was of the opinion that we should return one, but I held out. I've always wanted a pizza stone, and I couldn't bear the thought of giving one up (call me selfish if you must). Luckily for both of us, Eric was soon convinced of how useful two stones can be, and now we are the proud owners of two brand new pizza stones, neither of which has been used yet. Maybe soon.

Quiet- what do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?

  • Practice the piano, make phone calls, or write in my journal. (I guess the first two would pretty much destroy the "quiet" in the moment, wouldn't they?)

Recipe card box- yes or no? What does it look like?


  • Now THAT is a blog entry all it's own! I have a box* in which I keep cards-but the cards only have the names of my favorite recipes, NOT the actual recipes. The first three cards in the stack are the foods that we will eat that week. The actual recipes are in a three-ring binder that I keep updated. Also on the cards from time to time it will say "new recipe". Then I go through my books or other things I've received and try something new. If it's good it gets its own card, AND it gets typed up and put in the three-ring binder. Once I've made a recipe, it gets moved to the back of the stack. (see, I told you it needed its own entry!) (Oh-and I just noticed last night that "Thai Pizza" is due up in about a week. So, at least one of the pizza stones is about to be initiated!)

Style-What style is your house?

  • A Town home

Tablecloths and napkins- yes or no?

  • Tablecloths very very rarely, paper napkins with every meal.

Under the kitchen sink- is it organized or toxic wasteland?

  • Somewhat organized.

Vacuum-how many times per week?

  • Well, vacuuming is technically Eric's chore. We've been married for about 6 weeks, and our home has been vacuumed once. If it was a big deal to me, I could tell Eric how important it was to me that he do it, and he'd make it his top priority. If it was an even bigger deal to me, I could do it myself. But, it's not, and so I don't do either. (yet)

Wash- how many loads of laundry do you do per week?


  • Three--One whites, one medium and one dark. I put them in the wash as I'm going about my Monday morning exercise, read-scriptures, get-dressed-for-work routine, and then fold and put them away after work. (E folds and puts away his own clothes though)

X's- do you keep a daily list of things to do that you cross off?


  • Umm, I think we can safely guess the answer to this question.

Yard- yes or no? Who does what?


  • No yard. We do have a small flower garden in front of our house and a small container vegetable garden on the back patio. I weed and water the vegetables, and plant the flowers (mostly perennials). Our Homeowners Association takes care of the rest.

Zzzz's- what is your last homemaking task for the day before going to bed?

  • Oh geesh--I guess putting away the leftover food from dinner (Eric does the dishes). I don't do a whole lot of homemaking stuff right before bed.

Now I'm supposed to tag three people, so I tag Heidi, Jodi, and Harmony.


*My recipe box is the same box that Jeri mentioned in this entry. How fun that we both still have them! It's probably been 10 years since Mercy gave them to us for Christmas

7 comments:

Harmony said...

I'll get around to responding to your tag eventually, maybe. :-) In the meantime, I'm wondering how I missed out on Mercy's recipe box. Maybe I was on my mission or something. I'll have to have a talk with her about that.

Our pizza stone is well-used for pizza, but another very worthy use for it is chocolate chip cookies. I would love your Thai Pizza recipe, if you get a minute to post or e-mail it.

As for vacuuming, that "yet" will come about six months after the first kid does, at the very latest.

Harmony said...

P.S. Don't wash those pizza stones with soap or detergent! Just scrape and rinse or your next pizza (or batch of cookies) will taste a bit funny.

Dishboy said...

So I assume Eric knows that it is his chore to vacuum. I was informed that taking out the trash was my chore... after 3 weeks of marriage and 4 days of having the kitchen garbage in the Living room.

melissa c said...

The organization that must go into the recipe thing is mind boggling!

But, doesn't surprise me!

I think it is wonderful!

Jeff Packer said...

Here is a really good pizza crust recipe: 3cups flour, 1TBL of Yeast, 1 and 1/8 cups warmish water, 1TBL Oil, 1tsp of salt. Mix it all in a food processor. let it sit while you are making the other parts of the pizza. spread corn meal on the pizza stone so the pizza doesn't stick. Make a crust out of the dough, lay it on the stone, add other ingredients (sauce, cheese, THEN the toppings-nothing worse than having the toppings come off all on the first bite) Bake at 475 for about 11-12 minutes or until the cheese starts to get those brown spots like at Pizza Factory, remove stone from oven and serve. If you leave it on the stone, the pizza stays hot. Guten Appetite!

Jeff Packer said...

OOps APPITIT. No "e" Bad German professor, Bad.

Charlotte said...

Here's the Thai Pizza recipe:

Thai Pizza (Kristin Beck)

1/8-1/4 cup rice vinegar (sometimes it needs a little bit more)
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
3 Tablespoons Water
½ Tablespoon ginger (minced, fresh)
2 Tablespoons chunky Peanut butter (maybe a little bit more)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
4 garlic cloves minced
½ lb chicken breast-cubed
½ cup shredded swiss cheese
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ chopped green onions
Pizza crust

1-Preheat oven to 500 degrees
2-Combine 1st 8 ingredients, stir well
3-heat nonstick skillet, cooking spray, medium heat. Saute chicken for 2 minutes. Remove.
4-Pour mixture into pan-boil-cook 6 minutes (slightly thick) add chicken.
5-sprinkle cheese over crust, top with chicken mixture
6-cook at 500 degrees for 12 minutes
7-sprinkle green onions on top

Serves 6

I tried cookies on the stone over the weekend, and it worked beautifully. Hooray! More justification to have two pizza stones!

dishboy--YES, Eric does know that's his chore. He actually volunteered to have it be his chore in a rash moment of newleyweded-ness. He may regret it forever after.

(We have spoken about the scullery maid/dishboy garbage misunderstanding a few times though)

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...