Thursday, May 17, 2007

just a quick note

Well, things are good, as usual. Work is starting to get busy, as all the technicians, singers, and the other people that bring all that theatre magic to our lives start to arrive here at the old opera house. They all seem to want to be paid, which is where I come in. Within about 2 weeks, I'll have to turn off my Windows Media Player, because the walls will resonate with the sound of rehearsals, and my own playlist will clash with that music, and give me a headache. But, the rehearsals are often really pleasant to listen to, and even when they aren't pleasant, they are definitely interesting. So, I don't mind so much.

This summer we're doing Porgy & Bess, Showboat, Most Happy Fella, and Il Trovatore. I don't know very much music from the latter three, but I love just love Porgy. I'm a big Gershwin fan in general. So, I'm hoping that that cast rehearses in the room that shares a wall with my office area. I'm probably going to be out of luck though. That room is one of the smaller rehearsal spaces, and the cast for Porgy is one of the larger casts. So, it's not looking good for me. Oh well. I can still hope.

And that's about all I have for today.

-c

10 comments:

scullery maid said...

Was Burnedette Peters in Porgy and Bess? I think I have heard the soundtrack once and if it is the one I am thinking of I enjoyed it very much.

Charlotte said...

Actually-Bernadette Peters probably wasn't ever in Porgy & Bess. It's a show that has a cast that is almost 100% African American.

If you know the song that goes, "summertime, and the livin' is easy; fish are jumpin, and the cotton is high . . . " or "Oh I got plenty of nuttin' and nuttin's plenty for me. I got no house, I got no car, got no misery . . . ", those are both from "Porgy & Bess"

I'm trying to think of what soundtrack you might be thinking of--"Sunday in the Park with George"? "Annie Get Your Gun?"

scullery maid said...

Oh, I have heard those songs. I downloaded a broadway spinner at my old work and so I got bits and pieces of them all I think. The song I was thinking about was something that had to do with a "moonshine lullaby".

Charlotte said...

Oh--yes, "Moonshine lullaby" is from Annie Get Your Gun. I like that song quite a bit.

melissa c said...

I LOVE Porgy and Bess. I used to sing "Summer time" in high school.

Let me know how to get tickets!

Dishboy said...

You get tickets by talking to your mother-in-law of course. Apparently you have forgotten how this opera thing goes down.

Charlotte said...

Oh-dishboy--this is not the Melissa C that is your wife. This is the Melissa C that is my friend and prior roommate.

:)

And you can get tickets by going to www.ufoc.org, or calling 800-262-0074.

Didn't you also used to sing "Can't help lovin' 'dat man"(from Showboat?)

Dishboy said...

Char, those are the type of comments that you discretely delete so as to avoid me making a fool of myself.

amy greenway said...

When does Porgy play? July by any chance??? Not a lot of culture going on here in smalltown Kentucky. I need to get my fill while I'm in Utah.

scullery maid said...

Amy, if you are anywhere near Pikeville there is always "Hillbilly Days", best place in the world to get a fried twinkie and a whole different realm of culture.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...