Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Comfort Zone? What Comfort Zone?

Well, I'm singing at Summerfest.

That may not mean much to some of you, but it's kind of cool (and even more scary) for me.

Summerfest is an art fair that happens here every summer. It's one of my favorite things about living here. It's not all that different from art fairs in other part of the country (the same booths where artists sell paintings, woodwork, handmade jewelry, etc., the same fair food, and random musicians performing throughout the day and evening), but for me there is something special about it. I can't really put my finger on what it is.

Anyway, I never planned on performing there, but a co-worker of mine was put in charge of the music this year and he asked me to perform. I'm nervous about it, because it will be the first time I've ever done anything like this before. Fortunately, I'm scheduled for a time in the middle of the afternoon, when the crowd will (hopefully) be fairly thin. I'll be playing the guitar and singing which is not my usual (or preferred) form of performance. (My usual is to sing one or two songs with a pianist as part of a banquet or wedding or funeral or something) So, I'm hoping to do it on a kind of casual basis. We'll see how it all comes out I guess.

I don't have too much else to report. Last night Eric and I went back to the rec center. He beat me on the treadmill competition, AND also when we came home to play Pac-man (which we got for our wedding). I've got to find something that I can do to salve my ego with him, and soon. He really should be able to win everything, now, should he?

(I suppose I am better at crocheting--but it's a small consolation)

5 comments:

Jeri said...

good for you! I think that is wonderful and I know you will do a fabulous job! I wish Logan was a tad bit closer - and I'd make sure I came to hear/see/cheer/ and stick out my tounge at you.

mo said...

Congratulations! I think you should put "Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind" in the line-up. :)

Charlotte said...

I've decided that it will be in the line-up, as well as "Attainable Love".

We'll see what else makes the cut.

I'm even considering writing a song for the occasion (don't get too excited--there are reasons I haven't written songs before, the primary one being that I'm TERRIBLE at it)

Bamamoma said...

my mom wants you to let her know what time so she can come listen!

amy greenway said...

YEA! Summerfest is awesome. I haven't been since they moved it from the tabernacle because we moved but we used to go almost every day of the fest.

The "Good thing he can't read my mind" song runs through my mind all the time. It's hysterical and sweet all at the same time. The only problem is that I don't know the words so I do a lot of humming and insert "kimchee" here and there. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...