Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The last pre-marriage post?

This may be the last time I post for a little bit. Friday is our wedding reception, Saturday is our wedding, and then Eric and I will go on a little mini-honeymoon for the weekend. Our real honeymoon will be taking place in early May, once Eric's class is over, but before things start getting unreasonably busy for me with the opera season. So, unless I find myself with extra time tomorrow, this will pretty much be it.

The out-of-town visitors are starting to arrive. Last night I met up with some of my dear friends from far away. They were working at the opera company when I started, nearly 12 years ago. Four of them have moved on to other things now, but I feel so lucky that we've been able to stay in contact with each other, across many miles (we're nearly coast to coast now) and several years as well. Anyway, we had a great night of eating lasagna and fruit pizza, and chatting and catching up. There was a lot of laughter as well, which was naturally my favorite part.

Tonight I've got a different party to attend, but this one will not be in my wedding-ness honor. It's a birthday party for one of my friends. Eric has a test tomorrow, so rather than hanging around and distracting him from his study, I'll go to the party and try to distract myself from the thought that I am only three days away from what is surely the most life-changing event that I have ever experienced. I'll be attempting this internal distraction at precisely the same time that I will be fielding different forms of what has turned out to be the question of the week. ("Are you getting nervous yet?") This question is generally immediately followed by the second most popular question of the week, ("Do you have everything all ready?"). I'm reminded of how I felt the month or two before I became a Mormon missionary. I wanted to wear a sign that said,

--Santa Rosa, California, Spanish-speaking
--June 7
--Yes, I'm very excited
--Yes, I'm a little nervous as well*

Now I think the sign would say,

--Yup, it's getting pretty close
--Not so nervous any more, just mainly excited
--So far, I think we have everything under control**

So, we'll see how that goes. Really though, if I were to answer those questions honestly, they would be more like this:



--Yes!! It's getting close and I'm so excited that I can hardly stand to keep from dancing and singing as if I was one of those Seven Brides for Seven Brothers performers! Is there a barn-raising anywhere close by?
--No!! I'm not very nervous at all! Would you be nervous if you were marrying your best friend, in the very place and in the very manner that you had hoped for since you were nine years old, with all your family there to see you and share the joy?
--I don't know if we've got everything arranged for the celebrations. I actually don't really care at this point whether we do or not!! I'm marrying Eric in the temple. Our family members will all be there, along with more friends than either of us really deserve to have. Knowing that, I'm having a really hard time being concerned with whether or not we have enough plastic forks.



Yup, that's what I'd really say.

So, I leave you with a picture. The newspaper ran our wedding notice in Sunday's paper, and I was able to take a digital copy of the picture they put on the on-line site. So, for your viewing pleasure I give you yet another picture of Eric and Charlotte.

Happy Wednesday,
char




*(The questions that this sign would answer are: Where are you going on your mission? When do you leave? Are you excited? Are you nervous?)

**(You're on your own for this one)

5 comments:

Mandy Rich said...

We are so excited for you!
We will see you Friday!

Bamamoma said...

Charlotte,

so... how are you really feeling? :) Very cute picture of both of you. I've been debating whether I should try to call you one evening this week. I'm dying to talk to you but also realize that you have tons going on. I had thought I'd try tonight after YW (because I knew Eric would be in class) but it sounds like you are busy. If we don't touch base by phone PLEASE know that my thoughts are with you and I'll probably shed a few tears on Saturday (a few of sadness that I'm not there but more of great happiness for you and Eric!)

love you!
hjk

melissa c said...

This is the funnest time. I wasn't nervous either. There is no reason to be when you know what you are doing is right.

I can't wait to see you and Jeri tomorrow night.

I'll be there with bells on!

Bamamoma said...

Phil says he would like to make a few signs for us too. Ours would say:

May 26th
Girl
Probably Eden Marie
Yellow with some animals on the walls
Yes, excited and sure we don't know what we are in for.

His would also include:
Yes, Heidi is uncomfortable.

funny!

Charlotte said...

You all might be interested to know that when it all came down, about 4 hours before the reception was to start, my mom and I realized that although we had plenty of cups and plates and napkins, we didn't have ANY plastic forks. What are the odds of that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...