Friday, March 16, 2007

Remember the Titans! (?)

Well, it's been a few very busy and eventful days. But, things are good.

The funeral that we had for my grandmother was good. I laughed more at this funeral than I think I've ever laughed at any funeral before. It was a nice change. Two of my uncles spoke, along with one of my aunts. My father, along with some of his siblings, shared a memory or two of experiences they had had with my grandmother. I sang an arrangement of "I Stand All Amazed" with my cousin. The arrangement is for SATB, but my sister-in-law worked it out so that we could sing it as a duet. Nice.

You may be wondering why I laughed so much--as that isn't usual for funerals. I think this funeral was a little bit different. My grandmother had been suffering for several years, and her quality of life wasn't good, to say the least. That's not to say that she wanted to die, because she didn't (actually, if she had wanted to die, I think she probably would have managed to do it long ago). But, she had lived a good life, and was well prepared (in my opinion) to meet God, and those family members who had gone before, and so the funeral was more of a celebration of her life than anything else. Add that to the fact that my father's family tend to be a group of people who are more inclined to laugh (at themselves more than at other people) than the population as a whole, and it makes for a much lighter funeral than you might otherwise have.

In other news, I'm currently tied for second place in dishboy's annual NCAA bracket-picking challenge. I'm trailing scullery maid, who is in first, and I'm tied with my brothers Robert & Mark, as well as dishboy's friend Justin, and some guy I don't know. I've picked Maryland and Georgetown to duke it out in the final, with Georgetown winning the whole thing. I'm hoping for the best.

And the last thing for today is that Liz has posted some of my bridals on her website. Kind of fun.

So, there that is. Tonight Eric and I are celebrating my birthday, since I spent most of it en route to the funeral. We're having a light dinner at home, and then Eric is taking me out for dessert at the place that has the best desserts in town (Cabin Fever Cafe for all you locals). Afterward we will either to to The Queen, We are Marshall, or Premonition at the movie theatre, or we'll stay home and watch Remember the Titans on video. R.T.Titans is one of my all-time favorite movies, and thus far, Eric has been resistant to seeing it. So, I may play the "It's my birthday treat" card. Or, maybe I won't.

You may never know how this turned out. The agony of suspense!

2 comments:

melissa c said...

You are every man's dream if you follow sports. My poor husband doesn't have that luxury!

I saw Premonition and it was good but ended awful!!! Terrible!

Anyway, I go your announcement! It's beautiful! I can't wait to see you!

amy greenway said...

Has Eric introduced you to The Double McGuffin? We loved it when I was little. It scores very high in the "random" category. I think I made Adam watch it once. I'm not sure he had a comment when it was over. Positively speechless.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...