Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The "pretty-close-to-the-best" of times

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times . . .

Well, as I mentioned in the post that I just wrote, it actually isn't even close to the worst of times, although it is pretty close to being the best of times.

I'm going visiting teaching today. It's my turn to give the lesson, and so this morning I looked it over as part of my daily scripture study period. Actually, just for kicks, I think I'll forgo the "best of times" stuff (it's just more sappy "I'm in love with a wonderful guy"* rantings anyway), and instead give a general description of what a usual scripture study session with Charlotte entails. Remember though, I'm an accountant. So, this session is probably going to be so orderly and persnickety that it will astound, amaze, and even possibly disgust you. That's okay. It works for me, and it doesn't bother me in the least if it doesn't work for anyone else.

6:50 a.m. --Alarm Clock rings
7:00 a.m.--Alarm Clock rings again
7:10 a.m.--Alarm Clock rings for the last time

7:15 a.m.--I get on my knees for prayer

7:20 or 7:23 a.m.--I get off my knees, and pull out my "gratitude book". The next 2-5 minutes are spent recording a few of the blessings that I have in my life.

7:25 a.m.--I open the Book of Mormon. I've been reading the Book of Mormon in kind of an odd fashion for about 3 years now. I look up every single footnote, except for those that refer to the topical guide only. It's been interesting, but it takes a LOT of time. I took a break from this method so that I could do President Hinckley's Challenge, but once I'd done that, I was back to my old ways. I'm in 3rd Nephi now. I'm really looking forward to finishing up and going back to reading the normal way, but since I only read for 5-7 minutes a day (as you will see), it will be awhile. I'd give up, but I'm so close I just can't bring myself to do it.

7:30 or 7:32 a.m.--I read a few paragraphs or pages from the last Conference Ensign, depending on what talk I read the day before.

7:35 a.m.--I open the New Testament, which I am studying along with a commentary. I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get better informed about the life of Jesus Christ, as well as his teachings. So, this is one way that I'm going about it.

7:45 a.m.--Scripture study time is over for another day.

I know my system is overly regimented, and I do divert from it when I need to (as in the case of this morning, when I skipped the Book of Mormon, Conference Ensign, and New Testament, and just studied the Visiting Teaching Message). But, that's the general gist of how it works for me. What can I say? I like it. Call me neurotic (some do), call me a control freak (I'm not as tolerant of this one), call me beautiful, refreshingly honest, adorable, and darling (that's one I really prefer). Whatever fits I guess.

This post is a bit more random than I was planning it to be. Oh well. Next time will be more grounded.

Probably.

*10 points to the person who can first name the musical from which this phrase comes.

4 comments:

melissa c said...

I liked this post. Maybe if people were more like you, Charlotte, more people would be reading the B of M. I need a better schedule. I pull myself out of bed, kind of help the kids get off to school and catch the bus, fall into the tub and soak with H and G then get going.

Scripture study? What's that?

Jeri said...

unfortunately, I am more like Melissa in this regard. I have the best of intentions, but the follow through is somewhat lacking. I'm even counselled in my P. Blessing to establish a regular program of studying the gospel, and I do GREAT... in spurts...

In so many ways I wish I was more like you.

Charlotte said...

It's easy being like me when you don't have kids. Ask me in a couple of years how I'm doing with my scripture study, and I bet I won't be such a model case.

:)

BamaMoma said...

oh, this isn't neurotic or controlling. I have a new reference point - my cute hubby! He was placing "no-slip strips" on our tub two days ago (can't let the preggo woman slip you know) and he actually had a ruler and spaced the strips EXACTLY and perfectly spaced apart. Ahh, the tediousness. He bestows all his tediousness upon me! :) (10 points to the person who can name the show that phrase is from.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...