Friday, March 30, 2007

Lions in the Driveway

So, there's this house that I end up running or walking by a couple of times a week during my morning exercise. It's a basic small house, probably 2-3 bedroom (if the basement is finished) with fairly nondescript gray (or maybe it's creme) siding, a small garage, sitting on a regular size lot, which is landscaped very simply, more or less with grass and nothing else. It's just your basic, garden variety house--not an eyesore or anything, but definitely nothing about it really attracts any attention. I was going to take a picture of it when I went running this morning, but I didn't have my camera. Then I was going to take a picture of it when I went home for lunch, but I forgot.

Well, probably about a week or two ago, these two ornate lions showed up on either side of the driveway of this home. You know what I'm talking about? Here's a picture below to give you a general idea. The picture isn't from the house (it's actually from e-bay), so don't pay any attention to the brick surroundings, the granite walkway, or the pictures. Just imagine lions (kind of like this, but not exactly) on either side of a very ordinary looking driveway, in front of a very ordinary looking, small house.



So, I'm walking by the house this morning and it gets me thinking. What's the story with this? Is this a family that just likes lions? Are these people who bought these lions at a garage sale and just had to display them? Or, did they scrimp and save for years so that they could realize their dream of having a home that is guarded by stone lions? Or, (this is my favorite one) is this just the first of a very slow transformation that will be happening with this house? Will I walk by one day in about 2-3 months to find gargoyles on the roof , and then a year later a moat around the vegetable garden? (actually, there's not vegetable garden. Not yet anyway)



I don't know. I want to know though. Maybe I'll see if I can't catch someone outside soon and ask them. Or maybe I'll just march up there and knock on the door and ask them.



But, I probably won't.




-c

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lions mean that the house has keen paid for. You put them up after the last payment.

Charlotte said...

Really? Thanks for taking the time to share. I had no idea. (obviously)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...