Friday, March 09, 2007

Courage? or Foolishness?

Today I spoke on Utah Public Radio.

It was scary. I don't like talking in front of people. I don't like talking into a phone, knowing that my words are being broadcast over the airwaves and on the internet. I especially don't like doing any of that on the spur of the moment, when I haven't taken hours (or better yet, days) to determine what I'm going to say, and how I'm going to say it, and practice. I'm a fairly deliberate person, I guess you could say.

But, this morning I was getting ready for work, listening to Utah Public Radio. On Fridays and Mondays they do a program called "Open Forum", where two commentators (one of whom happens to be a friend of mine) talk about the latest Utah headlines, and the phones are open for anyone to call and make their own comments or ask their own questions.

Well, today they were talking about the legislative session, and how the Utah Legislature appropriated $800,000 for the renovation of a theatre that is owned by the company I work for. As they were talking, there was some information that needed to have a little bit of clarification if the true picture were to be shown.

I agonized over it, feeling like someone should call with the clarification, but not wanting to be the one to do it. I thought about calling one of the other staff members, many of whom spend much more time in front of groups, telling "our story" than I do. But, I doubted that I would be able to accurately describe what had been said and what needed to be said, and so anyone calling in would basically be flying blind, and that often has less-than-ideal results.

So, I screwed up my courage and called.

It went alright. I wasn't suave and smooth and easy-like-Sunday-morning, but I think I made the necessary point, and then I was able to get off the phone and off the air.

Whew!




*I tried very hard to make this entry free of wedding talk, just for those of you who are tired of hearing about my wedding, my love, my sappiness, and my man. Don't get used to this though.

5 comments:

Dishboy said...

So this entry is similar to a woman's description of a football game. There are a lot of words and some stuff about feelings and such, maybe a little bit about the weather, but you never actually hear the score of the game or who won. I guess since this is your blog I have to play by your rules (though I am interested in the misinformation on UPR and your corrections).

As far as the mushy stuff, I know how you get anxious for Christmas so I can only imagine how the next few weeks will be in Charlotteville. Those are going to be some good blog entries.

Dishboy said...

Ok correction to the previous statement. I incorrectly spoke when referring to a woman's description on a football game. What I should have said is my sister-in-laws description of a football game.

melissa c said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! I personally hate it when I feel the need to speak up but dang, if you want to do something right, you have to do it yourself.

I am proud of you even listening to talk radio. My hubby does but as of yes, I can not bring myself to do it!

I prefer to live in la la land where I have no idea what is really going on in this world!

Charlotte said...

I thought the details would be too boring. But, here you go.

The $800K is to renovate an older movie theatre that was purchased for us last year by Larry H. Miller. Right now we're showing classic movies in the theatre, but we'd like to one day be able to perform smaller operas in it (things like "Amahl and the Night Visitors" and other shows that don't have a big cast)There's a news article in the Salt Lake Tribune about it here:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_5382048

Anyway, the commentators were talking about a fancy (and expensive) Wurlitzer Organ that we are going to be installing in the theater, once the renvovations are complete (the pipes and other components won't fit the way the theatre is built presently). Although I don't believe anyone said it, the feeling of the conversation made it sound (to me at least) like we were going to be going out and using tax dollars to purchase a multi-million dollar organ to put in this theatre, which would be an uneccessary luxury, and probably an unjustified use of taxpayer funds.

However, that is not the case. We aren't going to be buying any organ, because about three or four years ago, a very nice couple in California donated this really special, top-of-the-line (for its time) organ to our company. We've been trying to find a place to intall it since we received it, with limited success. So, when Mr. Miller bought the Utah Theatre for us, it seemed like a natural home for the organ.

So, anyway, I called the radio station, and just said that the organ had been donated, so, there would be no funds (tax or otherwise) used to procure it.

(to read about an organ that is probably somewhat like the one we've received, you can go to this website http://www.organstoppizza.com/wurlitzer.htm)

As for mush--well, Eric's Spring Break started last night at 10:15 p.m. What that means is that I get to have him homework- and class- free from now until next Tuesday at 7:45 p.m.

YIPPEE!!!!!

amy greenway said...

I'm dying to know how your "bachelorette" weekend was. I bet you had a blast. Spill it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...