Friday, January 26, 2007

1991, 2001, 2005, and now

I seem to be getting into a bit of a habit lately of posting pictures on Fridays. I don't know what that's all about, but here we are with another installment.

I took this picture in April of 2005, when Henrietta and I went to New York City together. Henrietta was there to attend a conference for her job, I was there to play. We had a great time.

This picture was taken at one of the more somber moments of that trip. One morning while Henrietta was in meetings, I wandered over to ground zero, and Battery Park. I took this picture that morning. This cross is actually a remainder of one of the twin towers of the World Trade Center. The black blur you see on the right is part of the fence that surrounded the site at the time.


I remember that morning, it was kind of surreal. I was walking around, and there was this father, speaking to his son, pointing to the empty ground (where clean-up crews were still working), and describing how tall the towers used to be, and what they used to look like. I was eavesdropping (just a bit), and thinking about how Jennalyce and Tennyson and I had ridden the elevators to the top of one of those towers together back in 1991 or so. I actually still have several pictures of that day. In one of them Jennalyce and I are looking adorable, and Tennyson, while looking adorable with his face and eyes, is using his hands to make the ASL sign for "fart". Good old Tennyson. What a funny guy he was. Heck, he may still be a funny guy for all I know. I've lost touch with him (not that I ever had very much contact with him anyway).

Anyway, it was a surreal morning. When I saw this picture on my computer, I decided to post it. Part of that is because over the weekend I rented World Trade Center to watch while I worked on the wedding afghan. Henrietta had given it a thumbs up, and so I decided to check it out. I liked it quite a bit. The DVD has a commentary by some of the rescuers and one of the cops who was rescued. I especially liked that part.

And I guess that's enough for today.

-c

2 comments:

melissa c said...

What a beautiful post today. It makes me so sad to think about. I envy you the freedom you have had to travel all over. You will have memories now that most of us only dream of.

Thanks for this picture. It helps me to remember.

Jeri said...

If Tennyson is who I think he is - he was married about 1 1/2 years ago (maybe 2) in the New York Palmyra temple, and they have a little girl. Still active in the church and seems to be doing well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...